Per capita consumption of confectionery products in the United States has increased from 18.3 pounds to 24.9 pounds per person since 1987. This steady growth over the past 10 years has been driven in large part by Hershey's strengths:
- Superior consumer value products of consistently high quality
at a reasonable price which leads to strong brand loyalty.
- Strong marketing programs, including effective seasonal programs, consistent and well-targeted advertising and highly focused trade promotions, which encourage retailers to aggressively sell confectionery products.
- Creative and exciting thematic selling events such as "The Lost World: Jurassic Park," "Godzilla" and sponsorships with MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NASCAR, NFL, NCAA FINAL FOUR, along with appropriate displays, help drive the business for both Hershey and retailers.
- Category management partnering with our customers to provide data and specific programs tailored to their needs maximizes sales for our customers' entire confectionery business.
- New products which create excitement for the confectionery
category and help stimulate consumer purchases.